
I thought I would share what I've been working on this week... I'm learning how to quilt! My sister, Leslie, is here visiting so she's been teaching me the basics. And, I don't think I picked the simplest project to start with! I bought a pattern at the Satin Moon to make a set of Chinese New Year (or Spring Festival) couplets. These are traditional decorations that are hung on either side of a door to bring good wishes (good fortune) to a home. When I saw the pattern, I thought that it would be easy enough to figure out... after all, I remember that in grade 9 I sewed a really nice pillow and a skirt that I actually wore once so I was sure I could do this! Hmm, didn't look so simple after I opened the pattern at home! I asked Leslie for some advice on getting started since she is a talented quilter and she simply offered to make them for me! I knew then that I was in trouble!! But, with Leslie's help, I've got them started and here's a picture of what I've accomplished so far. I'm pretty proud of myself!
The Chinese characters are all traced from the pattern onto a fusible material. Then they are ironed onto the gold fabric and cut out by hand. The gold fabric is then lined up on the red fabric and ironed on... two evenings later, I have them all done! I sure hope I did okay lining all the little pieces up - they look good to me, but I'm no expert on Chinese symbols. From left to right, top to bottom, here's what the symbols mean: courage, friendship, harmony, tranquility, love, happiness, prosperity, longevity, luck, and peace.
We're starting the sewing lesson this weekend. Oh, and did I mention that my sister is leaving on Sunday? Any quilters out there who can answer my questions when I find myself challenged beyond my limited abilities after Leslie is gone...?
And, since I'm sharing projects other than stamping, I thought I'd show you how my Dad has been keeping busy. He's knitting toques to send to the orphanages in China. Yes, you read correctly - my Dad is knitting! He saw a picture of babies in orphanages that have little or no heat and was quite concerned so he decided to get busy. He thought that we could take them over with us when we go, but at the rate he's knitting, we're going to have to send them over ahead... He has 42 done already!
I love this photo that I took - a close up of his hands knitting. I have a similar picture of him in his workshop turning wood on his lathe. I think it's neat to have pictures like this because it really shows a different perspective.Don't miss the card I just posted a few minutes ago... scroll down to see it!
Bev.
2 comments:
love it - I have never done quilting either. I am a quilter wanna be - thinking if you can do it - maybe so can I - it looks great..
And way to go Al....
cheers clb
Your quilt blocks are great! This is going to be an awesome quilt!
Post a Comment