Saturday, January 20, 2007

Kissing tips...


Well, I must admit that if someone had told me a few years ago that I would be posting "kissing tips" on a website, I really would have thought they were crazy... but here I am doing it! Okay, "kissing" is a stamping technique so don't panic - it's safe to read this post! : )

Last night's Stamp-A-Stack featured two cards using kissing techniques. I thought I'd share some "how to" for you here. On this first card, the red heart in the middle is kissed. First, we inked up a corner of the Canvas background stamp with Real Red ink. Then, we pressed the clean heart stamp from Simply Said stamp set onto the Canvas stamp to pick up the Real Red ink. It picks it up in the design of the Canvas stamp so when you stamp it down, you have a patterned stamp! It's a good idea to breathe on the stamp before stamping with it to remoisten the ink.

This technique works best when you are pressing a solid stamp onto a patterned one... just imagine how many different looks you can get with one solid stamp and all the different background stamps! And, don't just think about the big background stamps - this will also work with stamps like By Design on page 160, Wonderful Weaves on page 162, the four sets shown on pages 164 and 165... there are probably lots more! In fact, if you look at the alphabet stamp in the Letter Patterns stamp set on page 165, you'll notice that it's actually printed backwards so that when you kiss a solid stamp onto it and stamp it down, you'll have the letters going the right way... it's like writing backwards and holding it in a mirror! You can see how they've used this technique on the scrapbook sample on this page of the Idea Book & Catalogue. You just need to make sure that your background stamp is bigger than the solid stamp you are using.

On this next card, we used a variation on the kissing technique. Instead of using the technique to ink the solid stamp, we are using it to remove ink from a stamp... Here's how:

Ink a solid stamp - in this example, the Big Blossom Sell-A-Bration stamp is used with Cranberry Crisp ink. Then, I used the little flower stamp out of the Little Pieces stamp set to press onto the Big Blossom and remove ink. The smaller stamp was clean and I stamped the ink off onto a scrap paper between each time I pressed it onto the Big Blossom stamp. You need to do this to remove ink from the little stamp so it can pick up more from the big stamp. Be careful not to let the little stamp slide when you press it down. When you stamp the Big Blossom stamp, the little flowers will show up lighter! Again, there are so many stamps that you can do this with... I saw another really nice idea where the small solid circle stamp from Simple Shapes had been used to lift ink from the Big Blossom. Any little stamp could be used - have fun!

Credit for this wonderful card goes out to Suzanne - I love the colours... Marigold Morning, Old Olive and Cranberry Crisp. The Twill Tape and buckle from the Antique Brass Hodgepodge Harware Kit are great accents. The Old Olive strip was stamped with the Weathered background stamp. Oh, wouldn't this background stamp be fun to "kiss" with?!!

Okay, one more "kissed" card that's been getting lots of positive comments... This one uses the Big Blossom stamp again. I inked the Paisley background stamp with Pretty in Pink ink and then "kissed" the Big Blossom onto it to pick up ink. Lots of little details to notice on this card... The Ticket Corner punch is used to notch out a little spot for some Pretty in Pink Brads. The paper piercing detail in all the corners is really nice. The clear button has a piece of Regal Rose card stock in behind it (punched out with the 3/4 inch circle punch). The Black Gingham Ribbon is actually thread right through the button and then tied in a knot of the front and the Pink Narrow Organdy Ribbon is then tied around it. The greeting is from the Happy Everything stamp set. A very elegant card that I copied from Debbie Olson. Thanks, Debbie!

Well, I hope you've enjoyed my kissing tips... Have fun!!

Happy stampin' (and kissin')!

Bev.

(All images copyright 1990-2007 Stampin' Up)

No comments: